Why Twist and Taste?


Food dishes all around the world taste delicious you just need to adjust them and “twist” them to suit your taste.

When I prepare food, I like to be flexible. I like to give my food character and originality. I believe in the final result. I believe in using fresh ingredient. I believe in cooking with pleasure.

Saturday 15 January 2011

Penne with Algerian flavours!

Penne with Algerian flavour

That is what I call a dinner express. It’s easy yet my guests and my children still find it impressive.
The secret for good pasta is to know exactly when it is cooked and serve immediately.
If it is overcooked and mushy, it looses its taste. If it is undercooked it will be too dry and unable to suck the accompanying sauce.
Basically the pasta should never wait on the table. Get your family/guests around the table while it is still cooking and let them wait for it. It is worth it!
The sauce for this pasta is a slightly twisted Algerian “Mtewem”. The peas add bright color to the dish.Red, Green and White remind us of the Italian/Algerian flag .
What about the sweet corn? Well….I don’t know…It just seems to be a right thing to add… 



 Recipe
Ingredient
400g mince
8 cloves of garlic
½ tsp cumin
½ tsp coriander
½ tsp cinnamon
1Tbs finely chopped parsley
Salt
Black pepper
2 fresh tomatoes peeled and crushed
1Tbs Tomato puree
2Tbs olive oil
1 cup peas
½ cup sweetcorn

600g Penne Pasta
Olive oil

Method:
Prepare the sauce
Mix the crushed garlic with all the spices and parsley.
Add a third of this mixture to the mince. Add a pinch of salt, knead and form small balls (size of a shelled almond). Set aside.
In a pan over medium heat pour the olive oil and for few seconds fry the remaining of the garlic mixture. Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato puree and around 3 cups water. Season. Put in the meat balls, the peas and the sweetcorn. Adjust seasoning and simmer.
Boil the pasta in salted water for around 10-12 mins (check it to get it right)
Once cooked, drain, put  in a big bowl and drizzle some olive oil over it and mix.
Serve topped with the sauce and cheese (Parmesan, Cheddar or my favourite: Gruyere)

No comments:

Post a Comment