Why Twist and Taste?


Food dishes all around the world taste delicious you just need to adjust them and “twist” them to suit your taste.

When I prepare food, I like to be flexible. I like to give my food character and originality. I believe in the final result. I believe in using fresh ingredient. I believe in cooking with pleasure.

Friday 28 January 2011

Dolma Carotte

Stuffed Carrots
I just spoke to my sister in Algeria and she says she is trying to follow my blog but she does not understand English so I promised to reduce the r’s in this dish double the t’s and add silent e’s hence the French “carotte”.
Any way, we had a good discussion about life and culture. Her views were that anytime someone tries to do something “out of the ordinary or the usual…He is soon seen as the “Ugly duckling!” even if what he does is legal, right and in fact better than the “usual” in many aspects!
Well I said: “A dolma carotte” is not a “usual” in the Algerian cuisine, yet it looks and tastes good!”  And to shock the “Usuals!” I will serve it with Couscous!!!!

Ingredients
5-6 big carrots cut into halves and hollowed (see stuffed courgette recipe)
1smallonion finely chopped
3 gloves garlic
300gr mince meat (used beef..Healthier!)
1tsp black pepper
1tsp cumin
1tsp cinnamon
1tbs paprika
1tbs Tomato puree
1 egg yolk
2tbs finely chopped parsley
salt
2 Cups pre-soaked  chick peas
2tbs olive oil


Method;
First prepare your sauce
Heat the oil in a large pan, add onion and fry until translucent, add ½ tsp cumin,1/2 tsp cinnamon , ½ black pepper, half the garlic quantity.
Add around 3-4 cups  water, tomato paste, paprika and chick peas. Let it simmer while preparing your carrots.
Prepare the stuffing by mixing the mince, the remaining of the spices and the egg yolk. Season
Stuff the carrots and add them to the sauce. Simmer until cooked, checking the liquid level and seasoning. Any remaining stuffing will be rolled into small balls.
Once cooked, sprinkle with parsley.
Serve with bread or if you are Algerian and adventurous…serve with couscous!




No comments:

Post a Comment